Tenuate (Diethylpropion HCI) is an oral appetite suppressant used along with diet, exercise, and behavior therapy for the short-term ( 8-12 weeks ) management of obesity. Tenuate is a safe and effective way to lose weight when it is taken as per directions. Tenuate is highly addictive and should generally be used with a behavior modification program. Tenuate comes in two forms:
- Immediate release tablets (Tenuate)
- Controlled release tablets (Tenuate Dospan).
Tenuate comes in doses of 75 mg and is taken according to BMI.
Tenuate is an appetite suppressant that works by stimulating a vital area in your brain called as the hypothalamus which controls your appetite.
Tenuate Dospan is best taken once a day in the mid morning. This sustained-release or long acting product must be swallowed whole. Crushing or chewing them will destroy the long action and may cause increased side effects. TENUATE (25-milligrams) is best taken on an empty stomach; one hour before breakfast each morning. It may be taken again in mid evening if needed to suppress night hunger. Take this medication as prescribed. Do not take it more often or longer than directed. Use in combination with other appetite suppressant medicine is generally not recommended.
If you miss a dose of tenuate, take it as soon as possible. But do not take 2 doses at once, doubling up of the medicine is a strict No!
Duration of usage:
Tenuate is meant for short-term use (8-12 weeks). Don't think that continuous use will increase the benefit of the pill, as your body starts to build up a resistance to the effects of this medication after a few weeks of treatment. It is always advised to take help from the pill but not to get addicted to it.
- Tenuate must be stored at room temperature below 77 degrees F (25 degrees C) in a tightly-closed container, away from heat and light.
- Do NOT store tenuate in the bathroom, near the kitchen sink or in other damp places. Heat or moisture may cause the medicine to break down.
- Do NOT keep the medicine past the expiration date.
- Tenuate should be kept out of children's reach.
Usage of tenuate, may in some cases lead to:
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth
- Sleeplessness and irritability
- Stomach upset or constipation may occur the first few days as your body adjusts to the medication
Other adverse effects include central nervous system disturbances, gastrointestinal disturbances and changes in libido. If these effects persist or become bothersome, you may have to discontinue use.
If tenuate makes you dizzy or lightheaded, avoid driving or engaging in activities requiring alertness. Alcohol can increase unwanted side effects of dizziness. Hence, it is advisable not to drink while taking tenuate. Moderate amount of chest pain, pounding heart and breathing difficulties or swelling may also occur while taking this medication.
You must not exceed the recommended dose or take this medicine for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor. Exceeding the recommended dose or taking this medicine for longer than prescribed may cause serious Side Effects.
- Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to tenuate.
- Do not miss any medical appointments while taking the drug and before any medical or dental treatments, emergency care or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using tenuate.
- Do not take tenuate if you are pregnant.
- Tenuate is excreted in breast milk. Do not take tenuate while breast feeding.
- Do not share this medicine with others for whom it was not prescribed.
- Do not use tenuate for other health conditions.
- Some Drugs or medical conditions may interact with this medicine. Inform your Doctor or Pharmacist of all prescription and over-the-counter medicine that you are taking.
- Do not use tenuate if you are also taking furazolidone, guanadrel, guanethidine, or monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs).
Take Tenuate ONLY as directed by your doctor. If too much Tenuate is taken, it may cause unwanted effects or become habit-forming. Do NOT take it for a longer time than your doctor ordered.